Re: SLA Build station 5.3 and windows 2000

From: Ian Gibson (igibson@hkucc.hku.hk)
Date: Wed Sep 24 2003 - 04:15:25 EEST

Markus makes a very valid point. It seems the older your OS, the less
likely you are to be troubled by viruses. I have noticed some anti-virus
systems say I don't need the recent patch if I'm running Windows ME or 98.
Maybe the Red Queen is wrong - Curiouser and curiouser said Alice.

IG

At 12:45 AM 9/24/2003 +0200, you wrote:

>Am Dienstag, 23.09.03 um 22:16 Uhr schrieb Larry_Monahan@bd.com:
>
>>your IT people say " any machine not running windows 2000 will be removed
>>from the network"
>
>By whom? Will they come into your shop and pull the network cable? Perhaps
>they will exclude you from the usual network services, only. This way, you
>still can move data over the net if you provide both, Client and Server on
>your own machines.
>
>>( and what about my 250 running in DOS)
>
>Even viruses can't be run in DOS mode, these days. No Joke.
>
>At worst, use a crossed Ethernet cable to connect workstation and build
>station directly. It's some fiddling to get this stuff running but no
>chance for your IT people to prevent you from doing so.
>
>An intermediate solution whould be to set up your own ethernet hub,
>network server and other stuff without connecting this local network to
>the outside (= company LAN, Internet). Safe from the IT point of view,
>just some work to be done ...
>

>HTH,
>Markus Hitter
>
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
>http://www.jump-ing.de/

Dr. Ian Gibson

Currently on study leave at
National University of Singapore,
Dept. Mechanical Engineering
9 Engineering Drive 1
Singapore 117576
Tel: +65 6874 1917
Mob: +65 9087 3512

"Everything really is stupidly simple, and yet all around is utter confusion,
don't look around to find the sound that's right beneath your feet"