RE: HP getting into the rapid prototype printer business

From: Ben Halford (ben.halford@virgin.net)
Date: Sat Sep 20 2003 - 01:03:06 EEST

Dear all
I'll try finishing the message before sending this time. I haven't done the
exact sums but someone recently told me that if you work it out inkjet
cartridges are something close to £500/UK pint ($808, €717). Not a
particularly precise figure given the variety of makes / models / colours
involved (my HP 42 ml black cartridge is ~£300/pint) but the ball park seems
about right.

Which ever way you look at it, this is expensive - but clearly it is a price
point that consumers will tolerate. Anyone care to compare this in terms of
SLA resin or any other RP material? As a thought though, if you're building
a replacement part and it's a thermoplastic, you could just recycle the
broken original. It's already pigment matched and you'd have the right
amount of material (no sprue bushes etc) - zero material cost.
Ben

PS good to see lively debate on the rp-ml again