Re: Shipping Models - Dont Use Fed Ex

From: Bathsheba Grossman (sheba@bathsheba.com)
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 23:44:03 EEST

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Charles Overy wrote:
> Has anyone else expereinced Fed Ex denying a damage claim on a model?
>
> It seems that they have a one liner in their terms and conditions that says
> the specifically do not accept responsibility for damage to "scale models".
> (Even if you buy thier insurance). In this case they didn't just shake it
> arround a bit, they crushed the crate made from 3/4 inch plywood and 2x4's.
>
> >From their site of "Liabilites not assumed:"
> http://www.fedex.com/us/services/express/termsandconditions/us/unassumedliab
> ilities.html?link=4
> "The shipment of scale models... "
> I do not know if shipment was a prototype at 1:1 scale they would still
> deny.

Yowch!

> Wondering if anyone else had this experience and who they use for shipping
> instead?

A couple of years ago I had a Solidscape jewelry model destroyed --
the entire package crushed -- by Fedex, and although I had not bought
extra insurance they did pay the $100 default value without arguing.

So there's a data point...if Fedex is like most companies, it probably
depends a lot on who picks up the phone.

-Sheba

--
Bathsheba Grossman                 phone (831)429-8224, fax (831)460-1242
Sculpting geometry                                          bathsheba.com