Re: 3D Topographical File

From: Osbornmail@aol.com
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 06:50:21 EEST

David

If you are having the file built on a LOM system, make sure it is built
upside down (i.e. with mountains forming a "V"-shape).

This should still give you the subtle contour lines / increased communication
effect that Brock referred to, without any overburn that can occur if the
laser is tracking loads of data points in a small area (the LOM plotter control
software does carry out a form of dwell compensation but it can be quite crude
when dealing with converted GIS files).

I was involved with the building of a scale model of a section of the Severn
Valley in the UK a few years ago, and the GIS data which was converted from
Ordnance Survey information was very detailed. (Made for v.large STL file as I
recall).

Best regards

Nick

bhinzmann@sric-bi.com writes:

> Subj:Re: 3D Topographical File
> Date:11/08/2003 21:02:27 GMT Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:bhinzmann@sric-bi.com">bhinzmann@sric-bi.com</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:smith@vsba.com">smith@vsba.com</A>
> CC:<A HREF="mailto:dkleigh@harvest-tech.com">dkleigh@harvest-tech.com</A>, <A HREF="mailto:rp-ml@rapid.lpt.fi">rp-ml@rapid.lpt.fi</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> Many people may remember the topographical models Helisys used to build.
> The burned edges of the paper between each build layer gave the models a wood
> grain effect that was not only beautiful, but also increased the sense of the
> contour of the land, as 2-D topo maps do. I don't know if such layered models
> were more or less accurate, but leaving
> the visible lines in the model, combined with the physical shape, to me at
> least, increased the communication value. Rather then sanding down the steps
> between layers (to gain accuracy), you might consider leaving the lines in,
> even in a metal model, for aesthetic value.
>
> Brock Hinzmann
>

> Makai Smith wrote:
>
> > It's not _that odd.
> > There's always the USGS DEM. They're 1/4 mi. squares, raster heights at
> 30m spacing. The Z tends to be more accurate, mostly derived from 1:24k topo
> quads. There are a few freeware ways to get from DEM to geometry. Start at
> http://data.geocomm.com/. What's the output size? How much of the Rockies
> do they want? How important is accuracy?
> >
> > Makai

Nick Osborn
Consultant
Fenland RP Ltd