Problem of data conversion and transfer in RP

From: partho banerjee (partho_cmeri@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jun 06 2003 - 10:43:52 EEST

Dear friends,

We are having a LOM machine and an SLA machine.
On the side, We are developing Coordinate points data
for the slices with the help of software developed by
us. This data is more accurate than that generated by
slicing STL. However, we are having difficulty to feed
this data to either of the machines. The LOM machine
(LOM 1015 Plus, driven by LomSlice) is having no
lateral entry point for slice data entry. The software
does not write any internally generated data anywhere
so we don’t even know the format. It might be HPGL but
its exact format is not known. Even if we can develop
that – the software provides no scope for inputting
it. And of course, we do not have the source code of
the software.
The SLA (SLA – 250 / 50) machine can accept .SLC or
.SLI format of slice data but we don’t know how to
develop such a binary file from raw slice coordinate
data. We would like to know if any converter is
existing in the Public domain or commercially
available.

Can anybody help us in this regard?

P. S. Banerjee and A. Roychowdhury

=====

Partha Sarathi Banerjee

Scientist, Rapid Prototyping and Tooling Group

Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute

DURGAPUR - 713209

Ph. No. - +91-343-546816/18/26/28, Fax No. - +91-343-546745/548204