RE: Stereo lithography in the news

From: Charles Overy (cwho@lgmmodel.com)
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 00:40:35 EEST

Err,

 It may be my reading of the article but it appeared to me that both the
writer and the engineers are not at all sure about the internal viability of
:

"a prototype of a printer that would sell for as little as (emphasis mine)
$1,000 and that might one day permit ordinary consumers ..."
"It's not clear that 3-D printing has the support needed to solve all of our
problems," one of the researchers here said"

The business issues are described as " a quandary".

I, like many others, look forward to such a machine. However, if I had a
dollar for each time a low cost consumer machine had been described,
revealed, announced or promised on this list, I would be able to buy an 810.

While with each incremental reduction in RP price and increase in
usability, new business opportunities open, the availability of a consumer
machine assumes that large numbers of people have a proven desire plus the
ability to design and burn their own bunnies. In addition, that they are
willing to pay $1000 plus materials plus some sort of CAD type tool to make
custom mantle piece ornaments. I remain unconvinced.

Best
Charles
LGM