RE: stl reader for Copyright application

From: Bathsheba Grossman (sheba@bathsheba.com)
Date: Sat May 03 2003 - 02:12:53 EEST

On Fri, 2 May 2003, Steven Adler ( A3DM ) wrote:
> I was aware that you could export VRML from Rhinoceros but, I do not
> believe that you can import this format.

Your beliefs notwithstanding, version 3.0 can.

>I would imagine with some effort anything can be extracted however,
>VRML by vitue of it's intended purpose on the web, is greatly
>abbreviated in file size for viewing only

Back here in real life, a VRML file contains exactly the same
information as the corresponding STL file. No effort is required to
"extract" it: one opens the file, then saves it as STL.

VRML may also contain many additional rendering parameters beyond what
is found in an STL file: viewpoints, grouping, color, surface
properties, textures.

> Any other programmers want to chime in here..... Has anyone reversed
> engineered a design from a VRML file..?

I did so twice last week, with permission of course.

-Sheba

--
Bathsheba Grossman                 phone (831)429-8224, fax (831)460-1242
Sculpting geometry                                          bathsheba.com