Re: RP material properties

From: Andrew Layton (andrew.layton@marc.gatech.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 01:25:39 EEST

Hi Stuart,

I'm working on a study of the effects of layer orientation on tensile
properties right now. Still in the early stages.

At 03:07 PM 4/29/2003, Stuartduncanson@aol.com wrote:
>I am currently writing a small section on material properties of Rapid
>prototyping against common materials for Injection moulding for my final
>year project (due tomorrow). When l had a thought. The tensile strength
>of some Stereolithography materials are higher than Injection moulding
>materials
>
>Renshape SL5189 - 6000-6300
>polypropylene - 4500-5400 for example
>
>but is the tensile strength of the RP component measured in the direction
>of the layers or at right angles to them, surely this would have a massive
>effect on the outcome?
>Is this something that would have to be thought about at the design stage?
>
>all coments welcome
>Thanks again
>Stuart Duncanson

Mr. Andrew C. Layton Andrew.Layton@marc.gatech.edu
Research Engineer, Rapid Prototyping & Manufacturing Institute
Georgia Institute of Technology
813 Ferst Dr. N.W., Atlanta, GA 30332-0560
Phone: (404) 385-1053 Fax: (404) 894-0957