RE: Revit

From: Charles Overy (cwho@lgmmodel.com)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 20:06:16 EEST

Makai,

I think that the generation of watertight output, ie "valid stl" should not
be a primary criteria for Architectural CAD selection. The adoption of BIM
and parametrics as well as the integration of tool sets that more accurately
model the actual architectural design flow are far more important.

My view is that CAD and related computer technologies are predominately
used in the architectural fields as a method of documentation not as tools
to facilitate creativity and collaboration. (Part of my concern over
Laiserin's drive to BIM is that it appears to me to prioritize
documentation as a method of increasing the value of CAD in AEC).

What I believe was significant in the adoption of computer technologies in
other industries is that the automation of some of the design tasks
definitively improved the aesthetic and functional quality of the designs.
The frequent feedback I get from my customers it that this is far from a
universally accepted truth in architecture.

Clearly I am biased by my own efforts but I believe rapid modeling will be
useful to the AEC profession. However, it will not be successful if it
requires significant user intervention for the generation of "watertight"
stl files as we, in this forum, currently understand that requirement.
(Happy to expound upon why that is not possible if you would like!)

OK, to cut a dissertation short, watch Revit for what it is, AutoDesk's next
generation parametric AEC modeler. As I understand BIM, Revit is it. I do
not see any other real competition in this class although as I mention I am
not very familiar with Bentley systems. Whether Revit will morph into
AutoCAD AEC or the other way around is probably a function of AutoDesk's
internal workings. Again, BIM-centric programs, and most of the big AEC
modelers, to me, add very little, if anything to the creative process for
the majority of current architects. For this lightweight, but inherently 3D
programs like Sketch up seem to have an edge.

As for RP, I see two scenarios. One, the RP industry has to be
significantly compelling for AEC CAD vendors to incorporate viable RP output
into their software. To truly create good RP output from a wide variety of
AEC models this would require parametric substitution based on output model
scale when the export file is generated. This is far more complex than
generating valid STL export. The second road is the one we have taken, the
initial R&D of "middle ware" that specifically addresses the AEC issue.
Perhaps it is the road less traveled. I certainly hope it is not a dead
end!

Best

Charles