Re: LENS Prototyping/ outsourcing

From: Denis Cormier (cormier@unity.ncsu.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 19 2003 - 04:35:32 EEST

Hello Bimal,

We have an Arcam electron beam melting (EBM) machine that is being installed right now. Although the process uses an electron beam rather than a laser to melt the metal powder, it directly produces fully dense metal parts just like LENS. Arcam offers steel powder right now, and we saw one of the well-known rook pieces (with the internal spiral staircase and rope) built from a titanium alloy (Ti6Al4V I believe) when we visited them in Sweden a month ago. Arcam hasn't officially released the titanium alloy yet, but that rook suggests that they are probably pretty close. Give me a call (919 - 515 - 1549) or send me e-mail (cormier@eos.ncsu.edu) if you'd like to know more about the process.

Regards,

Denis

> Dear List
>
> We are attempting to locate a LENS rapid prototyping facility
> that can make some parts (stainless steel and or Ti-alloys)
> on an as needed basis. The parts are routine geometric shapes
> such as squares, rounds etc.
>
> If you are able to quote on this project, please send us
> information about your capabilities. Thanks.
>
> Bimal Kad
> Bimal Kad, Ph.D.
> Dept. of Structural Engineering
> University of California-San Diego
> 409 University Ctr., Rm 117
> La Jolla, CA, 92093-0085
>
> Tel: 858 534 7059
> Fax: 858 534 6373
> E-mail: bkad@ucsd.edu

Denis Cormier
Associate Professor of Industrial Engineering
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7906
Phone: (919) 515 - 1549
Fax: (919) 515 - 1543