Re: Pressure tank wanted

From: Michael Tsenter (nesttech@pacbell.net)
Date: Fri Apr 18 2003 - 08:51:08 EEST

Hi Andrew:

I have to confirm that I agree with you regarding most of your statements.
Vacuum casting process by itself can not and will not assure 100% reliability in
production of high quality urethane castings. You are absolutely correct that
waiting for the machine to mix & de-gas resins, and then waiting for the resin
to set for several hours is no way to run a production outfit. Furthermore,
resins with long pot life will attack the mold thus shortening the mold life.

However, there are situations when the presence of vacuum (or negative pressure)
during filling of the mold is extremely useful. These situations are common
when you are dealing with very thin wall parts that have numerous intricate
details, and at the same time the resin has high viscosity. In these cases that
presence of vacuum during the mold filling will insure a more thorough filling
of the mold minimizing large voids. Once the mold is filled, it can then be
pressurized in order to eliminate any remaining small bubbles due to air in the
resin, gas from resin reaction, or other air-trap areas that were not vented.

Many of our Protomix machine users inject the resin into the mold using
cartridges or meter-mix machines while the mold is sitting under vacuum. Once
the resin fills the mold, the vacuum is immediately released and the mold is
transferred into the pressure tank where it is pressurized to 60-80 PSI. This
process is extremely fast since filling of each mold only takes seconds.
Production rates of 100-300 urethane castings per day are typical at job shops
that follow these methods while using fast setting urethanes (10-15 minute
de-mold time).

Best regards,
Michael Tsenter

--