RE: RE: ANY TIPS ABOUT INSERTING COMPONENTS USING AN SLA-250

From: Blasch, Larry (LBlasch@OPW-FC.com)
Date: Tue Apr 08 2003 - 14:38:54 EEST

John,

Good question! Unlike jewelry, I sometimes design components that don't need
to be seen.

My experience involved inserting threaded bolt style inserts in a flanged
component. The externally threaded shaft projected out of the part while the
head was embedded in the SLA resin. To accomplish this it was necessary to
position the SLA component so that it built with the threaded bolts facing
down and the holes for the inserts to be open on the bottom.

Due to the additive fabrication process, inserts cannot project above the
working surface of the RP build. That means that the cavity for the insert
must be built first and the insert added when you reach the point of
enclosing the insert. This severely limits the orientation of the part in
the machine and can produce undesirable results.

Over the years, I have done many parts that required insert molded bearings,
magnets, wear surfaces, and threaded inserts. What I've found is that the
insert can be installed more easily after the build and plugged off to trap
the insert.

Larry Blasch