Re: STL-based engineering and tooling

From: Markus Hitter (mah@jump-ing.de)
Date: Mon Mar 17 2003 - 09:59:42 EET

Am Montag, 17.03.03 um 07:59 Uhr schrieb Chang-Shik Min:

> I have a dream that we can do everything from engineering to
> production,based on STL data only.

Well, the STL format is very limited and not designed to be extensible.
I can't imagine you can do more with it than you can do now: store
tesselated surface data.

> ... digital engineering or tooling ...

Two quite different things, IMHO. Tooling is a downstream process: you
extract the data needed for your process to do it; you have to store
the original model to avoid loosing information.

For engineering, you modify data and add information to it. This is the
opposite direction.

HTH,
Markus Hitter

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter