Re: STL-based engineering and tooling

From: Bathsheba Grossman (sheba@bathsheba.com)
Date: Mon Mar 17 2003 - 09:41:01 EET

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Chang-Shik Min wrote:
> I have a dream that we can do everything from engineering to production,based on STL data only. I think,if this dream come true,what they called,digital engineering or tooling can be smoothly on the track.
> As a RT research engineer,I,however,have a doubt that there may be some other problems for STL to be major data format for digital engineering due to STL's intrinsic limit,though many obstacles have not been fully found yet.
>
> RP professionals,can you share your honest opinons on the future of STL-based engineering and tooling with me ?
> I am in a desperate need of your precious comments.

They'll pry my NURBS from my cold dead hands. STl is more or less
adequate as a 3D printing format, but it's inherently not efficient
for modeling.

-Sheba

--
Bathsheba Grossman                 phone (831)429-8224, fax (831)460-1242
Sculpting geometry                                          bathsheba.com