RE: milling of clay

From: Mitchell, Doug (D.B.) (dmitchel@ford.com)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 17:13:23 EET

Bram,

We mill clay on a regular basis, and after talking to the operators
and programmers, I found out some things for you to change.

1. Clay is the same that we use, but do not refrigerate it. It will
expand when it returns to room temperature and change all your parameters.

2. No problem on the cutting tool.

3. Feed rate is about right.

4. 8200 rpm - with a 12 mm tool, you can slow the speed down to 2500-3000
rpm. This will create larger chips which are more likely to just fall off.

5. We find that a generous tool path distance (step over) in clay is 0.6 mm.

6. No problem in cutting in both directions.

Finally, as a general rule, milling in clay requires a modeler to finish
the surface by hand.

Doug

--
Doug Mitchell