RE: Complete RP certification

From: Charles Overy (cwho@lgmmodel.com)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 00:14:35 EET

I'm for making RP technology EASIER to use, not supporting unnecessarily
complex systems with certification.
(And of course protecting those obtuse systems with a monopoly. I have
never hired a MCSE as they tend to be more expensive and not very good at
creative, low cost, adaptable solutions that might include success stories
like Linux, PHP, POSTGRES, HTML, JAVA, 802.11b etc).

Ease of use is driven by an open, competitive, customer drive marketplace
with lots of user to vendor feedback, worldwide innovation and a broad and
diverse customer base.

That being said, I do think that, right now, with current technologies,
process education is a very good idea. I worry that particularly RP Service
bureaus, as well as vendors need to be careful not to over promise the
technologies particularly in niche markets. Different markets have
different input demands, jargon, and knowledge bases. We do architecture
and do it well, we don't do castings, jewelry, 5 axis machining, or product
development. Some end users are skilled enough to develop files that can be
run on any machine by most technicians. However, right now that is
unfortunately not the norm.

My RP "user friendly" to do list includes:
More technologies, (not certification for a few vendors products or
processes).
Further diversification into other marketplaces
Industry validation of product/ process niches
More open source standards including things like slicing algorithms
Burry STL below the user interface level.
Interface with parametric CAD modelers to create seamless "print drivers"
for RP.

The most important things that I think could be accomplished as a group or
industry are things like marketing, and communication to CAD vendors and CAD
standards groups.

IMHO, RP needs to become a pervasive output paradigm NOT an arcane craft.

Charles Overy
LGM