Re: Need article about the Conjoined twins from South America & Rapid Prototyping technology

From: Rohit Kumar (rohitk@isrmail.isr.umd.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 14 2003 - 19:16:40 EET

David, this is the link to an article that you might be
interested in:

http://www.newslettersonline.com/user/user.fas/s=63/fp=3/tp=47
?T=open_article,484858&P=article

Since this topic is receiving so much attention in this
group, I am assuming that some people do have in-depth
knowledge of the current state-of-the-art as far as the
application area of scanning and RP for prosthetics and other
medical applications are concerned.

Could you please share the following information:

1)Are there customized software available for handling
scanned data such as for plastic surgery, rhinoplasty? May be
to show the patient how he/she would look after the surgery
is performed? I know there is a 2D software available (don't
remember the name) but is there a 3D software package? Does
anybody feel the need or is anybody currently developing such
a software?

2)Are models for medical/prosthetic purposes ever made in
bulk (say more than the number beyond which it will be
infeasible to produce through stereolithography)? Is bridge
tooling for injection molding (choice of part material is
huge!) or silicone rubber tooling ever used to produce a few
medical/prosthetic models? If yes, then what might be those
application areas in medicine?

Rohit.