RE: Ceramic sintering

From: Jonathan Harris (j.j.harris@bham.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 15:55:33 EET

Hi Ben,

Sintering temperature depends on the type of ceramic you are using. The
definition of "low temperature" also varies widely (eg:
http://www.delphion.com/details?pn10=US04610968).

In my experience I have never come across any ceramic that sinters anywhere
near as low as 150 degC. The lowest I've come across is a dental porcelain
which will sinter to (alledgedly) full density at 970 degC. There are ways
of modifying the sintering behaviour of glasses/ceramics using fluxes, for
example pure silica glass sinters at around 1,700 deg, but can be made to
form a fully dense glass at 1,000 degC if you put enough borax into the mix.

I personally wouldn't fancy your chances of finding anything, but would be
very interested to hear more if anyone else comes up with a solution.

Regards,

Jonathan.
*******************************
Dr Jonathan Harris