RE: Multiple Parts saved as One STL file

From: Charles Overy (cwho@lgmmodel.com)
Date: Sat Dec 14 2002 - 02:53:19 EET

Paul,

>>Wow Charles - Who rained on your parade today?
Lack of snow up here can sometimes be as perceived here as rain would be in
other parts of the world.

>>Are you the new champion of STL?
Hardly, but based on the conversations on the list on the subject of STL it
seems like it is here to stay, at least for a while. I think it is a very
weak link in the RP process flow. However, it is a standard and A standard
is usually better than no standard.

>>What technology(ies) do you utilize to create physical models?
Form Z and Rhino to ZCorp 406 and 3 axis milling. Also sanding sanding and
sanding with a side of paint and prayer.

>>I always considered it to be part of my (designer) job to be aware of what
process or technology was capable of producing what I needed in the given
time-frame. It is not necessary to be an expert in the particular process,
but
you need to know enough to make sure you can get what you want, when you
want
and be aware any precautions that may need to be taken to ensure your vendor
can
deliver.

I agree that when RP is part of the process flow, as it can be in some
projects and for some parts, there is value added in making sure that the
prototype flows easily from the digital data. This is particularly true if
you, as it sounds from the above, are sometimes designing under a time
crunch, specifically to get an RP model in someone's hands. This is really
what we end up doing most of the time as well. Although we are not really
designing, we are usually just redrawing someone's data in order to make it
RP'able. This process works however it is an artifical construct of the RP
process. Clearly the RP technology is capable of building close
approximations of what the model should look like. However, the data
conversion often prevents us from getting a model of what we see on the
screen.

The point however that I was trying to make, but clearly failed, was that
having to design for RP, or consider the "RPability" of a particular design,
has negative impacts on the overall value equation given that the final
product is rarely an RP model. Simply put having to design for RP adds
complexity, increases the total product cost and thereby reduces the overall
value of RP. The greater the need to design to the RP process, the greater
the "fork" that the RP data takes from the primary path of concept to final
product, the greater the reduction in value.

A broader augment would be that all processes along the manufacturing flow
are an important part of "design for manufacturing" or "design for build
ability". In the purest sense I would agree. However, right now RP,
particularly conversion to STL adds artificial constraints to the
visualization process.

Best