RE: Change from one build style to another.

From: Blasch, Larry (LBlasch@OPW-FC.com)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 21:53:03 EET

Another alternative to create quicker but still accurate builds also saves
resin.

Just hollow or shell the part in CAD to an acceptable wall thickness (This
depends on the purpose of the object) and export the shelled object. Drain
holes must be added at this time. Remember to build the necessary plugs to
fill the drain holes.

Use Lightyear to create the supports and prepare the hollow or shelled file
allowing the supports to be built inside the part. Buttress supports work
quite well for inside supports and will still drain adequately.

The resulting part is a heavy walled hollow shell that is accurate while
still building much faster than a solid and using much less resin.

For prototype parts that will be used for show only, I use this technique to
save time and resin.

Sincerely,

Lawrence R. Blasch
Design Engineer