Re: Sand Casting of Small Parts

From: Jeffrey Everett (jeffery@iowatelecom.net)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 18:32:29 EET

Used to use it frequently. We modified an old centrifugal casting arm to hold the assembled cope and drag in place of a casting flask. We'd get fairly good castings by using about 1 turn! If you warm it up in a kiln before casting (about 300 degrees, you can get better castings). I've heard that the Delft clay gives much finer results due to the finer grit of the sand used. Maybe you should look into it. (Delft Clay Sand Casting Kit, about $65). I guess it depends on what your needs are. For simple ingots for further processing, the coarse sand would be just fine. If you need much detail, the the delft clay or investment casting would be better.

Jeffrey Everett