RE: Stratasys - SPT - Slow Prototyping

From: jlehr@stratasys.com
Date: Mon Nov 18 2002 - 18:40:59 EET

Dear Mr. Shastry:

Stratasys has introduced a 0.005" slice for its Maxum, which has improved
the accuracy and finish. Interestingly, the first thing a prospective
customer or user does to validate accuracy claims is measuring all
geometries (surface flatness, hole and pin diameters, straightness of thin
walls, long wall sections, and longest distance between points)on a CMM.
The FDM part, especially with the new 5 slice measure very well. Thin
sections are not affected by humidity or light making FDM parts
geometrically stable over months as well as years. Other systems in its
product line will also be capable of the new higher accuracy/surface finish
capability in the very near future. Other improvements have been made in
down facing surfaces (support to build boundaries) to where they are as good
a up-facing surfaces.

With regards to speed, it all depends on how you classify speed. Pure
machine build speed is, hands-down, the best with the SLA 7000. However,
most people consider speed on how fast a part can be in the hands of the
requestor (from .stl to delivery of a part). With the FDM process there is
no need to cure a part to harden it. With the FDM process there is no need
to go through long system heat ups and cool downs. When the part is done,
it can be removed from the system and supports immediately can be taken off.
Further improvements have been made in support structure build strategies to
reduce the amount of material used thus improving speed. Finally, a "sparse
fill" techniques can be implemented, especially on thick-walled parts, to
reduce the amount of material used thus, again, improving speed. The
internal filling lattice can be defined by the operator.

Price performance is another measure a lot of people consider. You might
want to consider that three Titans can be purchased for less that one SLA
7000. You might want to consider what it will cost to create a facility to
run the SLA of SLS system. The FDM system run in an office environment.

The bottom line is that every RP sytem in the market place does have its
strengths and weaknesses. I do hope this gives you a better picture on some
of the merits of the FDM process.

If you would like to further discuss some of the new features that can be
found in the FDM process, please contact Andrew Tsui, Asia Manager for
Stratasys and ATSUI@STRATASYS.COM.

Sincerely,

Jerry Lehr
Central Region Manager