RE: SLS question

From: Scott Tilton (stilton@protoprod.com)
Date: Tue Nov 05 2002 - 16:21:23 EET

I'd love to know of any studies or experiments either formally published, or
informal observations and notes.

I would say that there are a BUNCH of variables involved that make a simple
quantification like "how many times it runs through the machine" impossible.

Some guy who runs his machine at high temperatures to avoid curling won't
get anywhere near the powder life as someone who runs theirs at a lower
temperature.

Someone who keeps only the loose fluffy part cake powder is going to have
more powder life than someone who recycles every last crumb.

I run many of the same parts over and over and over year round.
While I can see how the degradation of the powder affects the products
surface finish, accuracy and ability to build small detailed features, I do
not know to what extent the mechanical properties of the parts produced have
changed.

Nor do I have the ability / resources to do a bunch of experimentation and
research on this topic.

It'd be nice if 3D systems would do that for us.

Or maybe someone else would step up to the plate with an SLS alternative
material and be more forthcoming with such information on their product.

Just my opinion.

Scott Tilton