RE: RE: Price idea for a resin/plastic model

From: Charles Overy (cwho@lgmmodel.com)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 01:37:52 EEST

Consider

                  Price
                    -
                 - -
 Speed or Service --- Quality

Each point on this "service triangle" represents an opportunity both for
distinguishing your product and as a reason that your customer will choose
you business and pay you. YOu can increase the number of points if you want
and add technology, innovation etc. but it muddles the argument for the
moment.

Most products and brands are built on either one or two of the points.
Wal-Mart is a price leader. You get the best prices on commodity items.
Not a lot of service, not a lot of quality.
In the Lunch market, McDonalds built a brand on Speed then Buger King comes
along they have to compete on Price as well. Wendys comes along and says
we'll keep the speed but we want to be fast and tasty - Speed and Quality.
Each brand is build arround a slightly different service mix.

Back to RP. Z Corp, built a product based on being the fastest machine,
then Stratasys comes in with a low price machine so Z corp responds by
agreeing to compete on two points. Z Corp is not saying they can match the
finish quality of SLA or SLS. Stratasys isn't saying its as fast as Z Corp.
Each defines its own market segment.

If you try to compete consistently on all point of your market you will
probably set yourself up for failure. First, you will almost definately
fail to distinguish your brand in the market place. 2nd, you will leave a
lot of money on the table. 3rd as your business matures you will face
upward internal cost pressures, primarily wages. If you try to keep your
costs down you will lose you best people to your cometition who are doing
speed and quality but will pay their staff more for the same work. etc.
etc. etc.

There is plenty, plenty, plenty of room in the RP market right now. Define
your strengths, market to them. Worry about what YOUR competion is doing,
eg the people who sell the same product with the same service qualities that
you do. Make sure you have a strategic plan to implement if someone comes
stomping on your turf.

Neiman Marcus is not worring about Wal-mart although you can now buy action
figures at each.

Best wishes

Charles