RE: Price idea for a resin/plastic model

From: Jim Williams (JIM@paramountind.com)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 23:32:06 EEST

Sheba?
Not sure what "fungible" is but RPSB's who's pricing is based on a commodity
business model are like a fungus to the product development industry and to
the RP industry. Perhaps that's what you intended to say? You can be a
craftsman using RP as a tool and be competitive.

RP is a tool to produce parts to support the product design and engineering
process. Hopefully we'll realize it's expansion into the manufacturing
mainstream. Certainly their are other creative ways to apply this tool. In
some of these applications quality may not be an issue. Best served RP
makes parts that prove-out the designer's theory. To think that one SLS
machine, and their human counterpart, works the same as another is wishful
thinking, and naive. Us who own/operate RP equipment prove that every day.
These investments are not plug and play, or shake and bake!

The variable of prices in the RP industry are as pervasive as are high
standards of quality. Those customers who choose price as their deciding
factor, all the time, invariably will find the best intended value of a good
quality product design validation model eludes them. Models, a.k.a.
prototypes, are intended to verify and validate a designer's design-intent
whether it be fit, function, product performance or pattern application. If
we, the model making industry, produce prototypes that fall short of these
objectives, then we as an industry loose credibility. Reliable and
consistent quality does have a price. In an un-regulated commodity market
place where industry standards of quality are elusive, if existent at all,
price becomes the only common denominator. p.s. China has adopted and
conquered this particular battle particularly where human labor is required.

I remain optimistic those RPSB'rs who have adopted a low price business
model will discover as every cheap romantic has discovered, that one date
doesn't necessarily get you another dance. Question is: can we afford to
sit on the side lines and watch the bottom fishers. Unlikely. Rather we'll
price ourselves to be profitable, build capital to replace/expand and stay
in the game long term. Every good business person knows the numbers and
positions themselves accordingly.

........ I gleefully watch as the bottom fishers turn on themselves and eat
each others lunch.

Regards,
Jim Williams