RE: Price idea for a resin/plastic model

From: Bathsheba Grossman (sheba@bathsheba.com)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 20:45:58 EEST

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Billett Mike wrote:
> However, an observation rather than a moan... whilst I understand
> that the complexity of the part and accuracy we require will steer
> the cost of the model, also that I was extremely vauge about my
> description of the part. I have recieved "ball park" figures ranging
> from $275 USD to $6000 USD! Quite a spread wouldn't you say?

On the high side, but wide spreads do seem to be typical of the field.
Just the other day I had a model quoted by several companies - in each
case exactly the same part, built with the same machine, without any
postprocessing - and got back figures ranging from $450 to over $1200.

One has the feeling that many RP users are not price-conscious, and
that as a result some companies operate in fantasy-land.

All one can do is avoid them and hope the market shakes down
eventually. It's all very well for situations where there is a lot of
craftsmanship, but in cases where build hours are a fungible commodity
- any working machine is as good as any other - sooner or later a
market rate should emerge.

-Sheba

--
Bathsheba Grossman                                         (831) 429-8224
Sculpting geometry                                          bathsheba.com