RE: Price idea for a resin/plastic model

From: Billett Mike (mike.billett@volvo.com)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 09:26:53 EEST

Many many thanks to this list for being so useful when it came to finding out some information about having a model made up.

However, an observation rather than a moan... whilst I understand that the complexity of the part and accuracy we require will steer the cost of the model, also that I was extremely vauge about my description of the part. I have recieved "ball park" figures ranging from $275 USD to $6000 USD! Quite a spread wouldn't you say?
 Admittedly the cheapest quotes were for polystyrene with a hard (durable?) coating and also as below 3DP (is this the same technique?), rather than a true resin or plastic model.

The bulk of quotes however fell into the $600-700USD range.. and so I'll assume that these are something close to where we would end up.

I had a couple of quotes that were "1000-2000 USD" and also some at "5000-6000USD".. although these ("fantasy quotes" as I perhaps incorrectly duped them) could well be extremely accurate and from companies that are well versed in the complexity of these type of castings that we are working with. I am also aware that as a consequence, a $600 model may not be more than $600 worth of modelling on a part that should perhaps have had $6000 spent on it.

I understand that for an accurate (real) quotation then all of you very kind vendors would want to see the model first.

As I mentioned previously, I wanted a "ball park" figure; I can safely say that I have that now! I will take it up at the next meeting and see pass it on to the next level of command here!

Anyway, I wish to thank the list for the information (no more quotes now please) and I may be in touch with some of you once we have decided a course of action.

Many thanks,

Mike.