SLS Duraform features with 100watt lasers

From: Scott Tilton (stilton@protoprod.com)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 18:01:38 EEST

Hello again to everyone.

Thanks to all for the responses to my last question.
What a good resource this list can be!

I have another question that has come up.

I have been informed of some the negative aspects of upgrading to a 100 watt
laser, which is required to make metal parts in a Sinterstation.

Specifically, that when making parts in normal Duraform material, the 100
watt laser is operating at such a low duty cycle that thin walls in the X
direction will suffer. Essentially, asking the laser to blink on and off
for such a short period of time is hard enough without asking it to blink on
at such a low percentage of its maximum power.

Can anyone quantify the difference in performance?
Perhaps with examples of parts they have built?

For example if you were building a top and bottom shell for a round
electronics enclosure.
What would be the thinnest "tongue" feature to fit in the matching groove
feature on the other half of the assembly?

For my own personal experience with this type of feature, I get very
hesitant when someone comes to me with a wall thickness of .020" or less.
I've gotten them to build successfully, but I don't make promises that it
will be right on the first try. We are currently using a 25 watt laser.

Also . .how badly is the outline scan quality affected?
I imagine if a 100watt laser is having trouble running at 12% for normal
fill scans, the 7% required for an outline is going to have problems too?

Or maybe I'm wrong.

Any "Been There Done That" experiences welcomed.

Thanks again.

Scott Tilton