Re: Article in CIO magazine

From: Michael Tsenter (nesttech@pacbell.net)
Date: Sat Oct 05 2002 - 20:21:40 EEST

Nice article. Having some personal experiences with Chinese manufacturers,
many aspects of this article are very real. However, there is a growing
number of companies in China who realize that low cost of labor is an
advantage, and if properly coupled with technology will enable the company
to become a true global leader in their respective marketplace.

One of our clients is a prominent watch manufacturer with design facilities
in the U.S. and manufacturing facilities in China. This company has truly
taken advantage of the skills of American & European stylists to develop
watch designs for the markets where they are consumed, while at the same
time empowering their Chinese manufacturer with the technologies that really
accelerate time-to-market and improve product quality. The facility in
China has 3D-CAD, Rapid Prototyping machines, vacuum casting machines, CNC
machines, injection molding machines, die casting machines, etc. The new
designs (about 300 new models per year) are sent to China electronically,
where a group of trained model & tool makers use all of the latest
technology to produce precision mock-ups, models, functional prototypes,
etc. for all sorts of purposes. Since the final tooling & mass production
is done by the same facility, everyone can prepare for any potential problem
related to a given design.

This type of set-up is extremely successful, and there is evidence that
other manufacturers are doing similar things.

Best regards,
Michael Tsenter

--
NEST Technologies, Inc.