RE: Peter de Jager

From: David K. Leigh (dkleigh@harvest-tech.com)
Date: Sat Sep 21 2002 - 00:14:39 EEST

Ouch. Anybody have a tissue?

I got pinged by Mr. de Jager as well. I politely placed his literature in
File 13.

I think it is probably a little premature to blame the industry for lack of
foresight. It took many years to bring computers from service bureau
environment to laptops. Companies would buy those huge things and sell time
on them for computation, which I still think is done in certain
applications. But, the desktop didn't come about until the early 80s, and
didn't get truly affordable until the mid to late 80s. I'm not a huge
history buff on the origins of computers, but I know that sci-fi in the 60s
started including computers in portraits of the future. That is 20+ yrs
from Hollywood embracing the future of this technology until it came into
reality. . . and I wouldn't call the 64k RAM, 5 1/4 floppy (tape drive
optional) machine earth shattering. Hollywood has just recently picked up
on the concept of RP in movies like Small Soldiers, Face Off, and Jurasic
Park. The earlier version of RP - the replicator of Star Trek - was based
more on fantasy like the teleporter than on reality.

We need to be deligent, responsible, and patient. The RP industry has a
solid future. . . but keep our eyes on the next step. These guys can't
afford to sacrifice the future by not taking care of the present. They have
to produce a product that can be sold this week. They need a positive cash
flow in order to invest in the future.

David K. Leigh (254) 933-1000
Harvest Technologies, Inc. fax (254) 298-0125
Rapid Prototyping Services www.harvest-tech.com