RE: Students Awed by Technology & Career Opportunities

From: Hanna, Paul (phanna@cessna.textron.com)
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 23:49:22 EEST

Hello List,

To add to the list of activities available to the young students today is a
program called "BEST", Boosting Engineering, Science, and Technology. This
is an annual high school and middle school robotics competition. I have
been mentoring for the past few years at one or our local high schools in
support of this program and it is wonderful. The web site (www.bestinc.org)
has all the information you need to start this program in middle or high
schools in your area.
The first year we participated in this program was a great success and now
the students look forward to the competition every year. Our program,
Kansas BEST, is supported by many local industries, which also serves to
expose the student to technology, engineering, manufacturing, etc. Take a
look at the web site and if interested in learning more about what it takes
to start a program in your area, select the HELP button at the top of the
page, select the HOW TO GET INVOLVED button from the pull down menu and go
from there.

Best Regards,

Paul A. Hanna
Systems Engineering CJ1/CJ2,
Engineering Rapid Prototyping
Cessna Aircraft Company
316.517.0125

With all the discussion on getting young people interested in manufacturing
and particularly RP, I thought I would offer the opportunity to get
involved.
In addition to the programs mentioned by Ron and others, SME offers these
youth outreach programs:
-Robotics, Technology and Engineering Challenge (RTEC)--Middle school
through high school students compete in Olympic-style challenges designed to
utilize their technical and classroom knowledge to design, build and operate
robots.
-Science Technology and Engineering Preview Summer Camp (STEPS)--This
one-week, tuition-free, residential camp introduces girls to the world of
science, technology and engineering by combining college-level science,
engineering and technology courses with hands-on manufacturing
techniques.......

Lauralyn McDaniel
Society of Manufacturing Engineers
313-271-1500, ext. 2119