Re: Students Awed by Technology & Career Opportunities

From: EdGrenda@aol.com
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 18:38:27 EEST

In a message dated 02-09-10 11:50:14 EDT, twohlers@compuserve.com writes:

<< Why don't more design and
 manufacturing shows and exhibitions put out the welcome mat for students? I
 understand clearly that in the short term, they are not the buyers, but in
 a short few years, they ARE the buyers. A 14-year old in 1990 is now a
 26-year old working for an organization that might be considering your
 products and services.

Hi Terry:

They don't do it because of the very reasons that were given by Mr.
Chancellor: It's serious, frustratingly expensive, business and we gotta show
a return.

But they should - they should even allow high school groups in; maybe even
junior high school, too. Industry should also foster more facility tours by
students and the public in general, as others have pointed out.

If we don't do this, we'll lose a simple way to inspire young people to
pursue technical professions and we'll limit public understanding of the role
of technology and manufacturing. Net result: fewer engineers and scientist
and public policies that are inimical to our interests. And even worse yet,
the loss of youthful imagination applied to our technical problems and
markets.

Most shows have an association with, or are run by a professional trade
group. These people should be able to find a way to get the kids in without
being intrusive and without wasting exhibitor resources.

If they don't do it, they're shirking a responsibility they have to educate.

Ed Grenda
Castle Island Co.
EdGrenda@aol.com (email)
http://home.att.net/~castleisland/