Re: BMP to STL conversion

From: Bathsheba Grossman (sheba@bathsheba.com)
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 01:38:07 EEST

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Facet Manufacturing wrote:
> Some people have mentioned programs that take a BMP file and, based on
> greyscale values, creates a 3D mesh from it. Anyone know what these
> programs are called, and where I could find one?

Rhinoceros can do this using the Heightfield command; no doubt there
are plenty of others.

> If not, I would like to write one. I'd need to be able to get the actual
> values from a BMP file. Can anyone help me to get the actual code of a BMP
> file?

The file format is public, look it up on the web. I recently wrote a
reader for 8-bit BMPs in Perl, of which you can have the code if it's
any use to you.

-Sheba

--
Bathsheba Grossman                                         (831) 429-8224
Sculpting geometry                                          bathsheba.com