RE: Subtractive- Desktop mill advice anyone?

From: Mark Zeiner IdeasMold (MarkZ@IdeasMold.com)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 06:05:08 EEST

Jeffrey,

        One relatively new subtractive technology you might want to
check into is laser cavity machining. I have seen this machine in action
and it is very impressive for small details. I'm sure it is a bit Pricy
(OK allot pricy) for most of us but there might be some shops out there
that offer this service. I am not aware of anyone offering the machine
services yet. Here is the link on the laser if you are interested in
looking into this machine. http://www.gildemeister.com/ and a
description of the machine from the web page:

DML 40 S: 6-axed-lasering with 3 optical and 3 mechanical axes
The DML 40 S now also permits machining of vertical walls through 6-axis
technology and its 3 mechanical- and 2 optical axes. A measuring probe
reliably controls the depth of the structures to be machined. The beam
path with its horizontal beam is operated by the LaserSoft 3D control so
that intricate and fine structures, as well as molds no long present a
problem for you. The housing of the DML 40-machine is not only
appealing, but offers perfect space utilization with its small footprint
and easy access to the work area. In addition, the most advanced
components guarantee the precision needed for laser machining.

        As far as the Mini Mills I would be concerned with the machine
accuracy for your small parts. I have machined several small parts with
a full sized CNC Mill and still had accuracy problems. Sure you can use
cutter comp and tune in the dimensions but sometimes the part cant be
measured due to complex curvatures on the final part. There is a big
difference in accuracy in CNC machines. Older cheaper machines don't
hold accuracy as well as some of the newer high speed machines. Balanced
tool holders are also very important for accuracy. Just double check the
accuracy specs on whatever you decide to purchase.

Good luck
Mark Zeiner
IdeasMold