Model Exhibition and Architectural Manufacturing App'ns of RP

From: rmsoar (rmsoar@ntlworld.com)
Date: Thu Aug 15 2002 - 12:56:42 EEST

Hi Jonathon,

There is a lot of interest in RP applcations within construction at the moment. I have just returned from the SFF Symposium in Texas where a group of us met to discuss this topic. Our objective is to scale up the RP technologies to the point that we can roll a truck on site (or land a ship on Mars) and start building freeform architectural geometries. The main freeform technique we are focussing on is Behrokh "Berok" Khoshnevis's Contour Crafting process http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~khoshnev. Berok has just received funding to produce a full sized machine that we will be duplicating, in the near future, here at Loughborough University and at the Biba Institute in Bremen, Germany under Hans Mueller and Claus Aumund-Kopp http://www.biba.uni-bremen.de. Another key figure in this meeting was Kevin Rotheroe (Freeform Digital Design and Manuf Studio freeform@nyc.rr.com) who presented a paper on the freeform steel fabrication techniques he is currently applying to a commission he has received. Though a smaller project than the Disney project the freeform nature of the structural elements that make up his design go way beyond the Disney project and this is only the start of where he intends to take it. As for my contribution I am particularly interested in the possibilites of including structural functionality into the design that not only affects the external geometry but also its internal geometry (in particular what lies behind the walls and goes unseen). This will involve complex ducting for ventilation, exchange of respiratory gasses, air conditioning /cooling, waste recycling, water purification, thermo-regulation and homeostasis within the structure.

It's early days but we would like to here from anyone that would like to be involved.

Regards

Rupert Soar
Dr Rupert Soar
The Rapid Manufacturing Research Group
Wolfson School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Leics LE11 3TU
Tel: 01509 227637 Fax: 01509 227549 Mob:0781 3834089
E-mail: r.c.soar@lboro.ac.uk
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/mm/research/rapid-manufacturing/

Please do not respond to this e-mail account. Please use my r.c.soar@lboro.ac.uk account.