Re: coversions

From: joan moss (genesis@designpro.com)
Date: Thu Aug 08 2002 - 20:41:15 EEST

Jeff,
There is a special plugin software for Max machines which is able
to import IGES files, and thus probably also IGES surface files.
Even without expensive plugins, 3D Studio Max can actually import
a variety of different CAD formats. Best to use ProE files that are
exported as DXF format for Max import and conversion. Ask for "crude"
quality, which is plenty enough resolution for most animation purposes.
Also ask for CAD files that are broken down into every single individual
piece, every screw, bolt, nut, resistor, or whatever. This is so that you
don't have to struggle to separate each object later, when you want to
texture and map each object.

Stuart Daley
Industrial Design, Product Development, Engineering
Genesis Design Group
www.designpro.com
Phone: 805-520-9688
Fax: 805-520-7716