Re: In Need of STL file of a Bone

From: Yasser Hosni (yhosni@mail.ucf.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 16:49:29 EEST

At the university of Central Florida, we have done some work in hip
implants, for which, we produced the hip from CT scan data. If you are
interested in the "inner details of the bone then Imageware, atos, or
diabatics scanners and their associated software will not help since
they are surface scanners! On the other hand an image processing
software (usually specialized for Medical) would be the suitable medium
to process the CT scan leading to an STL file. As mentioned before you
may have to deal with the "spikes" that will upset generating a smooth
STL file (hence a 3D physical model for that matter).
Take care.
YH

Yasser Hosni, Ph.D., PE.
Martin Marietta Distinguished Professor
Industrial Engineering and Management Systems
University of Central Florida
4000 Central Florida Blvd.
Orlando, FL 32816
Tel (407) 823-5817
Fax (407) 823-3413
E-mail: yhosni@mail.ucf.edu

>>> Vasudev Komaragiri <detroitvasu@yahoo.com> 07/10/02 08:42 AM >>>

 As Earnst Muller suggested, it might be good idea to find scanners
locally. Once you get the scan data, you need some Reverse Engineering
software to get an stl off the scan. I am not sure, if atos built in
software can deliver stl directly.
We use Imageware for all our Reverse Engineering jobs (now owned by
EDS-Unigraphics). In my reply to a question on CT-SCAN on the rpml
site, I mentioned about other softwares. We also use Paraform for
generating stl files on scans.
scanning the bones
There could be some noise in the scan data, which needs to be cleaned up
for generating good stl. We have scanned and generated stl file of bone
implants using non-touch scanners similar to ATOS. I'd recommend
digibotics (laser scanner) for the bones. For details, check on
www.digibotics.com. I am not sure if they are in business, but some
people are still using digibotics scanner. Also check the accuracy, and
make sure the numbers are what you are looking for.
I am not sure who in India has those scanners. Not that ATOS is a bad
scanner, if available I'd definitely try with it. Atos is good for many
other jobs. For this particular job, I feel digibotics is more
suitable.
I don't know what your budget limits are and if this research is
funded or not. We can help with scan data processing and stl file
creation, if you could get it scanned there.
If you need more help or info, please send an e-mail to me.
Vasu Komaragiri
Project Engineer
3D SOlutions
1100 owendale dr., suite K
Troy,MI-48083
ph: 248-689-5660

  Pulak Mohan Pandey phd me <pmpandey@iitk.ac.in> wrote: Dear List
I need STL file of a heap bone for my research work.
please help me in this matter.
Thanking you
Pulak

Pulak Mohan Pandey