STL-based HSM

From: Chang-Shik.Min (mcs9413@dreamwiz.com)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 05:01:16 EEST

 Dear RT professionals:

Hello...how are you ?
I am very much interested in STL-based HSM(High Speed Machining) as a research engineer in Rapid Tooling,thinking it will be one of key technologies to innovate the existing HSM technology.Yes,I know some CAD/CAM softwares like Delcam/PowerMill or Delft/DeskProto have direct interface with STL data.
I,however,have following questions about that;

 1.Tool path accuracy problem resulting from triangulation.
 2.Speed for tool path generation and machining.
 3.Problems caused by the fact that STL data can not be changed once generated
   in a CAD system.

Is there any one else out there who can share your experience or knowledge
on the above with me ?
Any opinion you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
TIA

Rapidly yours,
C.S.Min

======== Nothing ventured,Nothing gained! =======

Chang-Shik,Min (Chief Research Engineer)
LG-Production engineering Research Center
LG Electronics Inc.,Republic of Korea
(Phone) +82-31-660-7090,+82-31-202-8009(Home)
(Mobile) +82-19-370-7424
(Fax) +82-31-660-7384
(e-mail) mcs9413@dreamwiz.com
         mcs9413@lge.com