Re: Novice 3d scan question: stitching point clouds

From: Deelip Menezes (deelipmenezes@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jun 29 2002 - 08:57:13 EEST

Well, this is going to amount to advertising. But I dont see how else I can

We do have two products to deal with point clouds.
XYZ Import for AutoCAD (http://www.fpsols.com/xyz_import_ac.html)
XYZ Import for Rhino (http://www.fpsols.com/xyz_import_rh.html)

These are plug-ins for AutoCAD and Rhino respectively. They read a matrix of
points, of the form:
+ + + + + + +
+ + + + + + +
+ + + + + + +
+ + + + + + +
+ + + + + + +
and import the point cloud into AutoCAD/Rhino. You can import the point
cloud as simple points, lines, polylines, splines, faces or a surface.

Bathsheba, I am not sure whether these utilities will be helpful to you,
mainly because (1) you need AutoCAD or Rhino to run them, and (2) your point
could may not be in the form of a matrix (rows and columns). These plug-ins
were developed to read in data from a Ditizer or 3D Scanner.

Anyways, if you guys have a very different point cloud and would like to
process it do let me know about it, so that we can enhance the functionality
of our products. We can also develop a small program to proceess point
clouds as a standalone Windows application as opposed to plug-ins to other
CAD systems. Thats the reason I am part of this mailing list: To find out
the requirements of the RP industry and develop software for it.

I know that there is a policy of no-advertising on this list. If any of you
feel that I should not post messages like this one again, do let me know.
However, I feel it more honest to say that this product is our's, rather
than posing as someone else and saying that there is a great product made by
Floating Point Solutions, and you guys ought to buy it.

/Deelip Menezes