Re: homemade inkjet printer head

From: Bathsheba Grossman (sheba@bathsheba.com)
Date: Sat Jun 08 2002 - 01:36:15 EEST

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Markus Hitter wrote:
> Am Freitag den, 7. Juni 2002, um 20:45, schrieb Bathsheba Grossman:
>
> > IANAL, but it's not clear to me why the status of a homemade machine
> > would be different from any other kind of machines.
>
> First, because there is no interest in selling or giving away
> the machine(s) its self. It's just an interest in using them and
> perhaps without the intention to sell the products made with it.
> I asked, because I was unsure where exactly patents apply. To my
> knowledge, patents apply only to direct commercial interests but
> I might be wrong as well.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that if I intend to sell the products of
the machine, which I certainly would, that would be a commercial
interest.

> Second, because if there is a commercial machine available,
> there is few reason to build a own one. Home made machines make
> sense in special cases, only. A home built machine is always
> more expensive in terms of time, work and probably money and
> won't intersect much with the patent holder's business.

Well, that's just my point: there _isn't_ a commercial machine that
does the application I want. Solidscape restricts its use of its idea
to the manufacture of tiny models, and I'd like to make bigger ones.
It would no doubt be expensive to make such a thing (the question
wouldn't have entered my head, did I not have offers of considerable
assistance with the technology), but it's not as though what I'm doing
now is either cheap or satisfactory.

--
-Sheba
Bathsheba Grossman                                         (831) 429-8224