STL file extension for "Certificate Trust List" ?

From: Delft Spline Systems (info@spline.nl)
Date: Tue May 14 2002 - 23:38:27 EEST

Dear List,

In our community the file extension STL is used for files
containing a geometry definition (no matter the meaning
of the abbreviation S.T.L. :-) In Windows we configured
an STL file to be of file type "stereo lithography file" that
uses a certain icon and that after double-clicking opens
with a certain application (DeskProto for us).

My problem is that on some Windows versions the extension
STL is already in use by some Microsoft application, and
then stands for a "Certificate Trust List" file, whatever that may
be. What is more: this seems to be some special reserved
Microsoft use as the normal DeskProto setup now refuses to
define STL as Stereo Lithography file.

Does anyone have some clue about the meaning and use
of a Certificate Trust List file, about how to redefine the
file type to be a Stereo Lithography file, and if such redefinition
will disable any important Windows functionality ?

Thanks in advance,

Lex Lennings.

Delft Spline Systems, The Netherlands.
We offer DeskProto: affordable Rapid Prototyping using CNC milling

Mailto:info@spline.nl Website: http://www.deskproto.com