RE: ARCHITECTURAL_stl file coordinates to full scale building

From: O. Makai Smith (makai.smith@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 20:27:00 EET

Jonathan Chertok,
I'm not sure where you are located and the resources available locally
can be quite limiting, but here's a good case study to get a general
feel.
For large projects, the components can be shipped...I know of a project
here
in Philadelphia which is using the company below to fabricate a curtain
wall
system.

One well known company has worked on high-profile examples of this:
the Permasteelisa company, (http://www.permasteelisa.com.sg/)
for Gehry's Guggenheim, where the titanium panels were fabricated
in Italy from a CATIA model (captured from physical models). The steel
skeleton of the building was created through finite element analysis
of the CATIA mesh model, though I'm not sure who fabricated the members.
Permasteelisa has preeminence in this area, having worked on many
high-profile projects, like the Sidney opera house. It is useful to note
that
the structural engineer for many of these projects is the venerable
Ove Arup & Partners (http://www.arup.com/) who also have considerable
expertise in the working methods you're enquiring about.

O. Makai Smith, assoc. AIA
omsmith@asu.edu