Re: Writing STL files

From: Bathsheba Grossman (sheba@protoshape.com)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 05:11:07 EET

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Facet Manufacturing wrote:
> A slightly peculiar query.... Does anyone know the actual code for a STL
> file? I've heard they are a series of co-ordinates, is this true?
>
> To explain: I would like to experiment with 2D-to-3D reproduction and need
> to find out how to write my own STL files.

This is not rocket science; both binary and ASCII format explanations
are readily available to a web search. Even easier, you could simply
save an ASCII STL file out of whatever CAD software you have handy,
and read it with a text editor.

-Sheba
Bathsheba Grossman (831) 429-8224
Creative prototyping protoshape.com