Wake Up

From: Steven Pollack (StevenP@DigitalJeweler.NET)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 18:20:09 EET

3D SCANNINGDear RP machine manufacturers. After being on this list for about three years now I want to share a particular view that I think needs to see the light of day.

In my unscientific opinion, there are more posts from the jewelry industry on RP-ML about RP than from any other single industry yet the manufacturers of RP equipment consistently ignore the needs of this large untapped market in favor of the needs of the large Aerospace type industries that initially spawned RP. There are 30,000 jewelry outlets in the U.S. all utilizing lost wax casting to some degree while there are only a few auto or airplane manufacturers. That likely makes the jewelry industry the best possible target for RP.

Here is what the various technologies would need to do to service this trade:

ModelMakerII - Make this more turnkey and reliable. Make the build platform smaller, like 3" cubed to bring down the price.
Thermojet - Make a second support material that is removable
DTM/EOS/POM - Work on gold and platinum powders
SLA - Work on a more castable material
Objet - Work on a more castable material

Or you can continue what you are doing, catering to the few companies with large R&D budgets, and scratch your heads wondering why you don't sell more than 100 units per year.

Stop thinking Rapid Prototyping and start thinking Rapid Manufacturing. The technology is there, it is just the motivation and insight that is lacking.

Sincerely,

Steven Pollack
President, Digital Jeweler, LLC