RE: suitability of machines for jewelry prototyping

From: Steven Pollack (Steve@FamilyJeweler.com)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 15:56:04 EET

Al,

I would like to see what any jeweler could do to polish cupid inside Venus'
belly. In my opinion it is an example of how CAD/CAM can be used improperly
by not thinking through the entire manufacturing process during the CAD
phase. I refer to it as the bird in the cage syndrome. Many geometries can
be created which are nearly impossible to finish to a bright surface because
tools cannot reach surfaces that are easily visible.

As far as Lex and CNC, almost every one of the examples given in favor of
the Thermojet in a previous post were also appropriate for CNC. CNC is a
better technology when appropriate.

I own, and continuously use, two ModelMakerII's so I am not bias against the
technology.

Steven Pollack
Digital Jeweler, LLC