FEA into coloured 3DP - 3D MODELLING

From: Panayiotis Diamantopoulos (P.Diamantopoulos@sussex.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 16:33:01 EET

Dear Philip,

This seems an interesting RP application. It is also a good example of what
can be achieved by using different 3D software/hardware technologies in an
integrated way, as previously discussed in the list. I am not certain that
yet FEA software developers have thought of such possibility. However, this
can be achieved simply with some imagination and by combining the
appropriate formats.

Regarding the application itself, physically visualising FEA results can be
important. I hope that other list members will agree. For medical
applications, this could be used to demostrate specific simulation results
to surgeons and inform potential results of surgical actions or implant
performance. A list or even a picture of FEA results is not a very
informative way of producing conclusions for medical staff.

I have a question however, the FEA results on implant-bone interface is very
important.
3D-Printing would provide an overall picture of the resulting stresses of
the whole model, but it does not provide transparent models. How do you
tackle this problem in order to get an insight view of the results (on
nail-cortical bone interface)? Have you developed more than one 3DP model?

I am not so certain if ending up with many models, instead of many pictures,
would be very helpful from the engineer's point of view. It seems more of a
better way of demonstrating specific results to non-engineering audience.
What do you think?

Best regards,

Panos

Panos Diamantopoulos, DPhil