RE: 3D-City

From: Ed Lambourne (ebl@delcam.com)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 19:49:12 EET

Robert

You may be interested in Italia In Minatura
which is located at Rimini, Italy.

The guys there have used Delcam's software
and CNC machines to produce their buildings.

There is a brief story on this at
 http://www.delcam.com/info/nd2/ndot23.htm

Ed

--
Ed LAMBOURNE                                Delcam plc
Technical Director                      Small Heath Business Park,

-----Original Message----- From: Marshall Burns [mailto:Marshall@Ennex.com] Sent: 07 March 2002 17:05 To: Wright, Robert A.; rp-ml@rapid.lpt.fi Subject: Re: 3D-City

> I've been asked to inquire about building large-scale models. Does anyone > have any suggestions on what type of rapid prototyping process could be used > to build an accurate 3-D City? The finished product will be 12' X 12' and > the tallest building will be 18" tall.

Robert,

There has been some interesting work in this area, but no turnkey additive system is currently available. Formus, Ennex, and some other have tried to develop and bring systems to market that would work at this scale, but no one has yet done it successfully. Some research is underway on new concepts for large-scale fabrication, such as Contour Crafting by Berok Koshnevis at USC.

There are, however, still a number of ways to get your city model today: -- Use CNC milling to carve the buildings from foam and then hand place them in position. Many special effects studios serving Hollywood have this capability. -- Use a large-bed, CAD-driven plotter to cut out patterns in foam sheets or another thin material and then manually lay those patterns up to make your model. Two people who have this capability are Prof. Charles Thomas at the U. of Utah and Alair Griffin at Javelin.com, both in the area of Salt Lake City, Utah. -- Another person is Norm Kinzie in the Boston area. I haven't heard from him in a while, but last I knew he had a system for carving large-format 3-D topographic maps in foam from CAD data, that might do your trick.

Good luck with your project.

Best regards, Marshall Burns President, Ennex Corporation

Marshall@Ennex.com Los Angeles, USA, (310) 397-1314 http://www.Ennex.com