Re: Questions on DuraForm GF and other options

From: David K. Leigh (dkleigh@harvest-tech.com)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 16:58:47 EET

Duraform GF in raw state will seep water if under pressure (like a pump housing). If an impellar, it's not as crititcal. Parts can be sealed, but parts as is out of the machine is 95+% dense. This presents a problem because you will not get full penetration of sealant into part. . . so if you want to test and machine, you will possibly cut through your sealant layer. But, the good news is if you are using and end mill or equivalent, the processing will "melt" the surface and seal it up for you. We have had success making pump and valve housings for life testing in glass filled material as well as unfilled. We have also made impellars and the like. If the complete part is sealed, it works great.

David K. Leigh ph (254) 933-1000
Harvest Technologies, Inc. fax (254) 298-0125
Rapid Prototyping Services www.harvest-tech.com