RE: 3D modelling

From: Bibb, Richard (PDR) (RBibb-pdr@uwic.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 16:05:18 EET

Dear Brian,

I agree to an extent with what you say. Here at PDR we have a whole range of
computer aided design applications and we often use all kinds of
combinations to achieve our aims. As you say, this is especially true when
talking about medical or highly complex structures which tend to prove
difficult or impossible using traditional engineering based CAD packages.

However, I appreciate that we are very fortunate here to have such a large
range of very different CAD applications available to us (about 15 at a
guess). Many of them are very also extremely expensive and I would not
expect small companies to have to invest in such a range of software.
Therefore I think there is always a desire to produce specific software
solutions for specific users.

A small warning though, that transferring between many different CAD
packages, especially for purely aesthetic or visual results can lead to loss
of accuracy.

regards,
Richard

___________________________________