RE: 2D/3D scanning of small brass pieces

From: Anshuman Razdan (razdan@asu.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 16:33:19 EET

If you just want an outline of the pins, scan them in whatever manner (any 3D
scanner) however the edges wont be sharp. Then take the points on the boundary
(which will have noise) and smooth them out with a least squers type
approximation BSpline curve. If you just want an outline and have hundreds of
these some one can write a small custom software to create smooth outlines. Send
me a pin or two and I can experiment in my lab.

AR

Dr. Anshuman Razdan
Director, PRISM
http://3dk.asu.edu